Probate – Grant Only
We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf.
As part of our fixed fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send the sealed copies to you
Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 8-12 weeks depending on how quickly the executors are able to provide date of death valuations for assets and liabilities.
Probate Full Administration
Obtaining date of death valuations for all assets and liabilities, applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets
These matters are dealt with on a time and cost basis with an hourly rate of £210.00 per hour. Most full administration matters cost between £3000.00-£5000.00 plus VAT and disbursements.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
We will handle the full process for you. This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are 4-6 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Potential additional costs
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost £1.50 (1 per asset usually).
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 9-12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 8-12 weeks.
Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 6-8 weeks. Executors are advised to wait for a period of 6 months from the date of the Grant before distributing assets to protect themselves in the event that a claim is made against the estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family Dependants) Act.
Once this has period has expired, we can prepare estate accounts and distribute the assets, which normally takes 4-6 weeks.
|Probate – Grant only – estate up to £325,000||£750.00||£150.00||£273.00 (court fee)||£1173 plus disbursements|
|Probate – Grant only – estate over £325,000||£900.00||£180.00||£273.00 (court fee)||£1353.00 plus disbursements|
|Expedited Probate – Grant only – estate up to £325,000||£1000.00||£200.00||£273.00 (court fee)||£1473.00 plus disbursements|
|We will prepare papers and lodge application same day on following conditions:
|Probate – Full administration**||Charged on a time and cost basis and will depend on work involved. Clients will be advised of fees estimate at initial appointment when they have provided full details of the estate. EB hourly rate – £200.00 plus VAT|
- Disbursements payable for Probate – Grant only
- £1.50 copies of Grant
- £2.00 per person bankruptcy check (executors and deceased)
- £4.80 ID check per executor
- *All Private Client matters require a payment on account at initial appointment for a minimum of £240.00. Payment is required prior to appointment for home visits.